Sunday, November 25, 2018

Why I chose Guichon Creek

Why I Chose Guichon Creek

Post 3

As a former BCIT student I had the opportunity to hear about the the school boast about its biggest environmental accomplishment which was restoring Guichon Creek and parts of Still Creek. The school had taken a once lifeless water body (Baby Boomers!) and had removed pollutants and invasive plants and added native plant species. This attracted our native animal species that moved back and began to inhabit Guichon Creek.

Picture from CBC Radio 

During my time at BCIT I decided to view this creek my self and I was delighted see birds, insects and plants all thriving. One thing that would shock me is that there were small fish swimming around.

Where did the fish come from?
It turns out that these fish along with many other species were added recently by BCIT Rivers Institute chair emeritus Mark Angelo.
The particular fish that I saw that day were Chum Salmon that were released into the the creek on world rivers day. A total of 15 000 juvenile salmon were added that day. 



So now that salmon have been seeded into the creek, that means this story has a happy ending right?

No comments:

Post a Comment